Eastern Junior English Grammar And Composition || Jha Chowdhary || Chapter 8: Verb


Pick out the Verbs from the sentences given below, write them in the space provided, and write what kind of Verb each one is:

(i) Ganesh has seen a film.
Ans: seen - Transitive

(ii) Ram always speaks the truth.
Ans: speaks - Intransitive

(iii) The servant opened the gate.
Ans: opened - Transitive

(iv) Horses run on the road.
Ans: run - Intransitive

(v) The boy is happy.
Ans: is - Auxiliary

(vi) Kamal reads a story.
Ans: reads - Transitive

(vii) The book is costly.
Ans: is - Auxiliary

(viii) The boy drew a line.
Ans: drew - Transitive

(ix) The cow gives milk.
Ans: gives - Transitive

(x) The rose smells sweet.
Ans: smells - Intransitive

(xi) The villagers fought the robbers.
Ans: fought - Transitive

(xii) The baby cried loudly.
Ans: cried - Intransitive

(xiii) My mother washed clothes.
Ans: washed - Transitive

(xiv) The train stopped.
Ans: stopped - Intransitive

(xv) The car moved fast.
Ans: moved - Intransitive

(xvi) I caught the boy.
Ans: caught - Transitive

(xvii) The man will live here.
Ans: will live - Auxiliary

(xviii) The sun shines in the sky.
Ans: shines - Intransitive

(xix) I have taught the boy.
Ans: have taught - Transitive

(xx) The boy laughed.
Ans: laughed - Intransitive

1. Pick out the verbs from the sentences given below, write them in the space provided, and say whether they are used as Transitive or Intransitive. Name the object where the verb is Transitive:

(i) Ramesh completed his task.
Ans: completed - Transitive; object - task

(ii) Hari Mohan laughs at the poor.
Ans: laughs - Intransitive

(iii) The wind blows slowly.
Ans:  blows - Intransitive

(iv) The lamp burns dimly.
Ans: burns - Intransitive

(v) The cattle graze in the field.
Ans: graze - Intransitive

(vi) The cuckoo sings a song.
Ans: sings - transitive 

(vii) Always speak truth.
Ans: speak - Intransitive

(viii) The dog barks at the thief.
Ans: barks - Intransitive

(ix) My father bought a cycle.
Ans: bought - Transitive; object - cycle

(x) The child learnt his lesson.
Ans: learnt - Transitive: object - lesson

(xi) He gave me bread to eat.
Ans: gave - Transitive; object - bread

(xii) We finished our task.
Ans: finished - Transitive; object - task

(xiii) I left my book in the library.
Ans: left - Transitive; object - book

(xiv) The train came late.
Ans: came - Intransitive

(xv) Kapil stole my copy.
Ans: stole - Transitive; object - copy

(xvi) My mother cut her finger in the kitchen.
Ans: cut - Transitive; object - finger

(xvii) Birds fly in the sky.
Ans: fly - Intransitive

(xviii) Meghna knows the secret.
Ans: knows - Transitive; object - secret

(xix) My grandmother told me a story.
Ans: told - Transitive; object - story

(xx) My younger brother broke the cup.
Ans: broke - Transitive; object - cup

(xxi) The baby cried.
Ans: cried - Intransitive

(xxii) The hunter killed the lion.
Ans: killed - Transitive; object - lion

(xxiii) My friend helped me.
Ans: helped - Transitive; object - me

(xxiv) Keep away these books.
Ans: Keep - Intransitive

(xxv) The boy called the teacher.
Ans: called - Transitive; object - teacher

2. Pick out the Auxiliary Verbs from the sentences and write them in the space provided. Also write whether they are Helping Verb or Principal verb:

(i) We have three cars.
(ii) India is a big country.
(iii) The farmer has ploughed the field.
(iv) All Indians are brothers and sisters.
(v) They have told a lie.
(vi) The boy has left home for school.
(vii) I am flying kites now.
(viii) The dog is a useful animal.
(ix) Now he has no work to do.
(x) The postman has brought some letters.
(xi) Measles is a serious disease.
(xii) The people were watching the game seriously.
(xiii) Many farmers have their own houses.
(xiv) The teacher is angry with the students.
(xv) The library is not open today.
(xvi) Do you want to keep the umbrella?
(xvii) The boy has committed a crime.
(xviii) Are you not going home today?
(xix) The sun is very hot.
(xx) We did our jobs early.
(xxi) Does Rohan take exercises daily?
(xxii) The master has punished his servant.

Answers:
Auxiliary Verbs:
(i) have - Helping Verb
(ii) is - Helping Verb
(iii) has - Helping Verb
(iv) are - Helping Verb
(v) have - Helping Verb
(vi) has - Helping Verb 
(vii) am - Principal Verb
(viii) is - Helping Verb
(ix) has - Helping Verb
(x) has - Helping Verb
(xi) is - Helping Verb
(xii) were  - Helping Verb
(xiii) have - Helping Verb
(xiv) is - Helping Verb
(xv) is - Helping Verb
(xvi) Do - Helping Verb
(xvii) has - Helping Verb
(xviii) Are - Helping Verb
(xix) is - Helping Verb
(xx) did - Helping Verb
(xxi) Does - Helping Verb
(xxii) has - Helping Verb

3. Pick out the Objects from the sentences given below, write them in your copy, and also write whether they are Direct or Indirect objects.

(i) My mother teaches me English.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     English: Direct Object

(ii) The boy told me a lie.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     a lie: Direct Object

(iii) They made him the king.
Ans: him: Indirect Object
     the king: Direct Object

(iv) Soni gave sweets to the servant.
Ans: sweets: Direct Object
     the servant: Indirect Object

(v) The man wrote a letter to the President.
Ans: letter: Direct Object
     PresidentIndirect Object

(vi) I sent the letter to my father.
Ans: letter: Direct Object
     father: Indirect Object

(vii) The company offered me a job.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     job: Direct Object

(viii) The teacher promised me good marks.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     good marks: Direct Object

(ix) My father forgave me my fault.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     fault: Direct Object

(x) Sohan gave money to the beggar.
Ans: begger: Indirect object
     money: Direct Object

(xi) The bank refused loan to the farmer.
Ans: farmer: Indirect object
     loan: Direct Object

(xii) My friend lend me the book.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     book: Direct Object

(xiii) The man sold me the horses.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     horses: Direct Object

(xiv) The judge fined the culprit 1000 rupees.
Ans: 1000 rupees: Indirect object
     culprit: Direct Object

(xv) The magician played him a trick.
Ans: him: Indirect object
     trick: Direct Object

(xvi) My friend presented Rakesh a watch.
Ans: Rakesh: Indirect object
     watch: Direct Object

(xvii) Can you show me the way?
Ans: me: Indirect object
     way: Direct Object

(xviii) The servant owes his master one thousand rupees.
Ans: master: Indirect object
     one thousand rupees: Direct Object

(xix) All students made Sonal the monitor.
Ans: the monitor: Indirect object
     Sonal: Direct Object

(xx) The landlord lent me the house.
Ans: me: Indirect object
     house: Direct Object

4. Use the given Verbs Transitively and both by framing sentences: Intransitive

(i) Speak:
(ii) Fight:
(iii) Run:
(iv) Sink:
(v) Stop:
(vi) Fly:
(vii) Ring:
(viii) Float:
(ix) Grow:
(x) Kick:

Post a Comment

0 Comments